Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Religion in America

Why is it that the people who have some of the most thoughtful things to say are some of the quietest? I've been exploring religion for years and have experimented with many--buddism, wicca, shamanism, agnosticism, etc.--and finally realized that I am really and truly an atheist. And I'm pretty happy with that realization. But in figuring this out, I came to realize that I'm hesitant to share it with people. Now, I've met very few Christians who are shy about sharing their religion. In fact, they tend to be quite out-going (no criticism implied there just observation). Yet, it's taken me over a year to gt comfortable with the notion of sharing what I believe. I'm not embarrassed at all, and I'm not even concerned about harassment. So, what's my issue? I haven't figured it out yet, but for now, I'm pushing myself to be open and honest about it. I've found some great atheist groups on-line and am reading some wonderful books, too. But no one has yet answered the question of why atheists in general are so hesitant to share. That's not to say there aren't lots of theories! And I have also met several atheists lately who are anything but shy and hesitant. Odd.

No comments: